top of page
EPC Energy Performance Certificates | The Estate Agents Photographer
EPC Energy Assessment


Steve Turner  |  Director

Professional Property Photographer, Real Estate Videographer and Domestic Energy Assessor

07875 281743   |  01245 526956

Email  |  Contact Form

Book a Residential EPC Survey

From £60

Click below to book a residential energy performance certificate. If your preferred date or time is not shown, or you want to book more than one service or a longer session, please contact me to discuss  

Residential EPC Survey


Residential EPC Surveys for Estate Agents, Homeowners and Landlords.  Fully Accredited Domestic Energy Assessor since 2010

As the Estate Agents Photographer, I am more than just a Professional Property Photographer.  I actually started my business in 2010 as a Domestic Energy Assessor, providing Residential EPC Surveys to Estate Agents, Landlords and Homeowners throughout Essex.  I added Professional Property Photography to my services in 2016, and after a serious accident in January 2022 while producing an EPC, resulting in many fractures and injuries and narrowly avoiding life changing consequences, I changed my focus to concentrate on Property Photography as I figured it was safer - and The Estate Agents Photographer was born. 


An Energy Performance Certificate, or EPC, is legally required or any property being marketed for sale or for rent.  The EPC is an assessment of the property, carried out by a qualified and accredited Domestic Energy Assessor, to establish the energy efficiency of the property based on it's age, construction, heating and insulation level. 

With the recent rises in energy costs, the energy efficiency and running costs of a property are more of a concern to viewers when considering the purchase or rental a property.  Ensuring you have an accurate, up-to-date EPC can help the property achieve the price you are looking for.  

Based in Chelmsford, Essex, I provide Professional Property Photography, Real Estate Video Tours, Drone Aerial Photography and Videography, Floorplans and EPC Surveys to Estate Agents, Homeowners and Landlords in the Chelmsford, Maldon, Braintree, Brentwood, Great Dunmow, Thurrock, Basildon, Rochford, Castle Point, Southend-on-Sea and Romford districts.  For a full list of areas I cover click here


How much does an EPC cost?

I charge £60 for an energy performance certificate on properties up to 4 beds or 200sqm.  For larger properties contact me for a quote

Who can produce an EPC?

An EPC Assessment can only be produced by a qualified, accredited and insured Domestic Energy Assessor.  A full list of Domestic Energy Assessors local to you can be found on the Government Register at


I am fully accredited and insured under the Quidos and Elmhurst accreditation schemes

When do i need an EPC?

It is a legal requirement to have a current, valid Energy Performance Certificate whenever a property is marketed for sale or for rent.  The EPC must be made available to potential tenants or purchasers upon request.  Failure to have a valid Energy Performance Certificate when the property is being marketed could result in a fine.  You may also need an EPC Assessment when applying for certain Government Grants for home insulation or heating improvements

Rental Properties and EPC Ratings

As from the 1st April 2020 there is a legal requirement for any property rented out in the private rented sector to have a minimum EPC rating of E or above.  It will be unlawful to rent a property which breaches the requirement for a minimum "E" EPC rating, unless there is an applicable exemption.  

The minimum EPC rating for rental properties is likely to change to a C rating in the near future.

Further details about EPC exemptions for low EPC rated properties can be found on the .Gov website

Do you do EPC surveys on Commercial Properties or New Builds?

No, I am an Accredited Domestic Energy Assessor, licensed to produce Residential EPCs on existing dwellings.  For Commercial EPCs you need a Non-Domestic Energy Assessor, and for New Builds you need an On-Construction Energy Assessor.  You can find a suitable energy assessor here

Why do I need an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

The EPC provides potential buyers or tenants of the property an idea of the running costs of the property, and the measures that can be taken to reduce running costs.  More importantly, the Energy Performance Certificate provides the Government much needed data about the UK Housing Stock's environmental impact, and what needs to be done to reduce the environmental impact and reduce fuel poverty

How long does an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) last for?

An EPC is valid for 10 years, and can be used for multiple property sales or tenancies during that time.  If you are not sure whether you have a valid EPC , or you have lost your Energy Performance Certificate, you can check the online EPC database at

What Properties are Exempt from needing an EPC?

You don’t need an Energy Performance Certificate if you can demonstrate that the building is ANY of these:​

  • Listed or officially protected and the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards would ‘unacceptably alter it’

  • Holiday accommodation that’s rented out for less than 4 months a year or is let under a licence to occupy

  • An individual non self-contained unit e.g. a bedsit or room within a HMO

  • Intended to be used less than 4 months a year

  • Due to be demolished with planning permission in place

What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

An EPC, or Energy Performance Certificate, is a rating of the current energy efficiency of a property.  It takes into consideration the age and size of the building, how well insulated the property is, the type of heating and the heating controls that are present, the type of glazing the property has amongst other things.


The property is given an EPC rating between G (low efficiency) and A (high efficiency), with the average UK property achieving a D rating.  

How long does it take to produce an EPC?

On a typical property, it usually takes between 30 and 45 minutes to produce an Energy Performance Certificate.  For larger or more complex properties it can take significantly longer - contact me to discuss

How do you produce an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

To produce an an EPC, I carry out a visual inspection of the property, with access needed to all rooms and the loft if possible.  I check how many habitable rooms are heated, identify the heating present and how the heating is controlled, whether the walls and loft are insulated, the overall size of the property and the heat loss perimeter amongst other things.  


The EPC Assessment is designed to be non-intrusive - ie I will not remove or damage any element of the property for the inspection. As such if I cannot inspect roof voids or any part of the property, generic assumptions will be made based on property age.

How do I apply for an EPC Exemption if my rental property scores a low EPC rating?

If your rental property scores below the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards (MEES) you may be able to apply for an EPC Exemption Certificate if the property will never reach the MEES without a large investment.  For the latest regulations about qualifying for an EPC Exemption Certificate visit the .Gov website

bottom of page